Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Love Lost & Found

Wouldn't it be nice if there was somewhere you could go to find a lost love? I am beginning to believe that there is such a place. Except its not a physical place, it is where life, destiny, fate, God, whatever you believe in takes you.
My first love, occurred when I was a teenager, 18 to be exact. I have been told so often that I was to young to know what love was, that it was infatuation. My heart told me differently and we decided to get engaged. Due to circumstances beyond our control we were split up. However, I have had the opportunity to be reunited with "my first love." We have not seen each other in three years, yet we slipped so easily back into our former way, it was like trying on a pair of old jeans. I was actually extremely nervous and distrustful of the meeting. Our past has lead us away from each other and I am still not sure of the man who he is today.
Bright side? I am a firm believer in two things when it comes to people.The first being my intuition which has been quite reliable through the years, and secondly I do not believe that people fundamentally change. I think that we change our habits, mannerisms, our ways as we mature, but who we fundamentally are is forever. It's like the old adage about a a leopard not being able to change its spots.
Therefore, I am confused about what our reconnection means for us, but I am hopeful. Like I said he is my first love. This does not mean that I am seriously entertaining fairytale thoughts about him walking back into my life to sweep me off my feet. It just means that I still believe in love and he is a love that I lost and have now found.
Although my approach to things is usually to hit them straight on, I think I am going to let this one play itself out. I will, as I see fit, step in and make my own destiny with him. Of course those steps will be far and in between, not to mention very necessary.
I want what we had, more than anything or anyone. But I will not let what I want cloud my judgment or my good sense. But hey, that's just me.

No comments: