Thursday, September 4, 2008

Republicians & Other Things I Don't Understand

As I sat comfortably on my living room couch, my younger sister turned on the Republican Convention. While I am not big on politics, this obviously historic election has been catching my attention. I did not watch the whole thing, however I did catch the former mayor of New York's speech. In one word, WOW. I see why he was such a popular mayor and why he tried to run for president himself. He is a dynamic speaker and he has a really interesting sense of humor. Yet I was a little put off by his speech. There he was addressing a convention of Republicans, and all he could do was bash Obama. I really didn't see the point. Now don't get me wrong, I have no opinion either way when it comes to who should be president. I know, its sad and I should exercise my right to vote, blah, blah, blah. But how can I choose a politician based on their campaign when all they both are doing is telling us what they think the public wants to hear. I am also convinced that voting has only a small amount to do with who gets elected president. That, of course is a whole other conversation.
Ironically, right before my sister turned to the convention we were watching a commercial from the Obama camp. In this commercial pictures of President Bush and Senator McCain were set to music that told of how one person wanted to be just like the other person. In the pictures Bush and McCain looked like old buddys. Personally, although I found the commercial to be extremely funny, I also thought that it was hitting below the belt. I know that President Bush is not the greatest president and NO, I do not want someone in office that is going to conduct things like him. However, that commercial proves my point about politics. Each candidate is capable of being totally unethical. Politics is a corrupt institution, and I want no part of it. But hey, that's just me.

No comments: