Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Adaptation

Charles Darwin said it is not the most intelligent species that lasts the longest, it’s the most adaptable. As my life takes unexpected twists and turns, I am finally starting to understand Darwin's logic. In this world, with a failing economy, every man (or woman) is out for themselves. If you want someone to help you, you've got to bring something to the table. Basically everyone uses each other.
True, when it is said like that it seems really crude and crass. However, that doesn't make it any less true. Now don't get me wrong, there are many selfless acts, on my part and otherwise. But these are few and in between. We tend to operate on the bartering system despite the level of sophistication and tech savvy-ness that we have evolved to.
When I think of my current relationships/friendships I find that with most of them the scales are tipped in their favor and that has got to change.
In order for me to survive I have to adapt. No, I do not want to be one of those people who just get, get, get. Yet, I also don't want to be one of those people who give until they have nothing left because they've been sucked dry. It's a big dilemma for me. I have stated in earlier posts that I feel my compassionate nature gets taken advantage of. My problem is finding the balance between adapting to the current state of human interactions and being true to myself.
Would it be wrong of me to take a hard look at the people in my life and judge them on a give/take ratio? I feel like that's what gets done to me. Of course I am not trying to retaliate; this is not me being vindictive. This is however, my wake up call to me. Currently I am not happy. Yes I have things and people that make me happy but when it comes to where I am with my goals, I am way behind schedule.
I am well aware that I am a grown woman and I have to own up to the consequences that result from my own actions. But I am also aware that the people in my life have added to those consequences and it was for their own gain. It's almost like I wish I could just move away and leave everyone behind. But the logical side of me knows that running is not the answer. I have to remedy my problems and issues with the people in my life or else I will just make the same mistakes all over again.
This year is almost over and there are so many things that I have yet to accomplish. Hopefully with my current realizations I won't repeat this year personally, professionally, and otherwise. I think that it is time for me to get my "house" in order before 2009 comes in. I'm gonna miss the ones who fall to the wayside but I'll deal. Adapting, surviving, it all sounds like the same thing to me. But hey, that's just me.

No comments: